Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

It's November the 4th- hopefully everyone's gotten out to vote. Voting on election day is not too much of a hassle where I live, so I went out with my family this afternoon and we all put in our votes for Obama within fifteen minutes. While Obama will not be winning Texas, a stronger Democratic showing this year could potentially begin a movement towards a more contested Texas, come future elections. Also, voting feels like a physical representation of my opinion; I know that sounds kinda sappy, but I gained genuine satisfaction voting for someone I believe will lead this country in the right direction. Combined with the novelty of voting (as this was my first time), it was exciting. Simple and pedestrian, but exciting nonetheless.

Jess posted her election prediction, which includes a fantastic map, as well as a link to an interactive map you can use to predict the outcome of the election. Personally, I'm going with a slightly more optimistic outlook than Jess: I think McCain will take NC, IN, MO, ND, and MT, but I think Obama will take FL and OH. I'm fairly confident he'll win PA, too, but he doesn't need it to win. The rest of the swing states (NM, NV, NH, etc.) have been drifting toward Obama for awhile, so I think he'll take most of them.

While my prediction is certainly not the most educated one out there, I thought it would be interesting to give it a go: 338 for Obama is where I'm placing my marker.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

I was trying to be conservative as I wouldn't jinx it. Glad I was wrong! I'm really surprised he won Indiana though. Yay. What a night. I'm still feeling the buzz.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Neil said...

Well, your more conservative guess was a nice, clear indication that Obama would have won even if McCain had been more successful. Everything followed my prediction until Obama's win in Indiana; that's really something. Great night- I thought McCain gave a decent speech, and Obama's speech was incredible.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home