Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Flooded

Coincidentally, my house flooded just as major reports on Hurricane Gustav stormed the media (among other things). Firstly, I'm glad that Gustav didn't directly hit New Orleans, which, in its current state, would have taken major damage even though Gustav only possessed high category-two winds. Secondly, even though having a pipe in the bathroom bust while noone is home is not at all life-threatening or outright devastating, I have to say that it's quite a pain replace most of a house's carpeting and wooden floors. Fortunately, the living room and the kitchen are on slightly higher ground, so my family's currently just living out of those two rooms, with all of our stuff kind of crammed into any empty space available. Lastly, I'm aware that every sentence of this paragraph begins with an adverb. Almost. Wait, that's an adverb too.

Bizarre wordplay and minor crises aside, I've also been flooded with schoolwork. Fortunately, everything seems to be calming down now. What a way to start my last year of high school.

This is a poetry blog, and it's been a long time since I've actually posted anything of my own. So...

~~~

A Day of Hunting

Another white! Six butterflies
Flittered in his little cage.
He softly hid to soon surprise
A seventh, on his sunlit stage.

Ten- he ran to fetch his pins.
This time, I’ll really pin them!
To grow by way of little sins,
He stuck the pins within them.

Well, almost. It was too early still
For him to deaden beauty.
Why rush to grow and long to kill
By grown-up sense of duty?

~~~~~~~

Another Childsong. These poems are fun to write because they provide a perspective that is all too often overlooked or used too dramatically. I also feel like I'm a little closer to the age of my nameless little characters than most writers, since I just turned 18, so it's not too hard to construct the children in my poems. I probably still have a little of the naiveté of childhood left in me, but it's fading fast.

It's September. This begins the third cycle of months since I started featuring every month. This blog is getting old.

Hope everyone's well-

Take Care,
~Neil

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

I'm sorry to hear about your flooding ordeal. Ah, the joys of owning a house. At least get some good poems out of that. And a good poem too. I hope your year is going well. Is your blog turning 3 this year? I hope you meant old in the good and not the bad way

7:31 AM  
Blogger Neil said...

Well, we've got the new carpet in, at least, so the house is recovering. I should be able to draw some ideas from the event (though it almost feels like tiny, insignificant things that happen to me give me better ideas than larger events, but maybe that's just because there are more of them). My blog turned two late July this year, so it's got a ways to go before hitting three. I did mean old in the good way, though; even if I can't spend much time on my blog, I still enjoy posting on it. I have great readers like you and Anthony!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Hope you make it through the storm alright.

I like the poem... it's a stop and think kind of poem.

Your blog is not old, it is only growing up. Just like you. It's nice to see things (and people), grow and change.

Best of luck in this new year of yours.


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

1:57 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

PS ~ There is an award for you over at my page.

Scarlett & V.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home