Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Monday, August 25, 2008

Another First Day of School

...is always a little strange. After spending an entire summer completely apart from all the people whose company I do not enjoy, I've been thrown into classrooms with all of them again. Of course, I've also gotten to see some people I *do* like that I didn't spend too much summer time with, and it's a friendly reunion of sorts.

I just entered my senior year of high school, and I have mixed feelings about my final year of high school. Sure, I'm excited about moving on to college, which will undoubtedly be more stimulating intellectually, and leaving for another culture for awhile is a welcome prospect. However, after this year is over, I will be leaving behind my family, as well as most (or even all) of my friends. I will also be exiting the comfort of my home for a cramped little dorm room. However, this is my last year, regardless of the pros and cons of the situation, so best to embrace the situation and not overthink the issue.

Again, this post goes against my early intentions of remaining utterly impersonal in my blog entries. I had a birthday recently, so I'm a legal adult now, which is really exciting, since I will be able to vote. More on that later.

To add something literary to this post, there's a fantastic interview with Mark Rowlands up at Cosmoetica. It's not just interesting; it's refreshing and really just fun to read, so give it a look!

Take care,
~Neil

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

Only one more year of people you don't like and then you don't ever have to see them again.

Though not to be too sad, once you're at college you meet a whole slew of new people and you stick around those you share things in common.

I saw all the little kiddies lining up waiting for the bus yesterday morning and I thought how you were probably starting school. Dan thought it was university.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Neil said...

Oh, I'll be attending a university next year. I'll be going to Rice in the next month or two to do an interview and tour the campus. They have a good system for meeting people with similar interests that also eliminates any presence of fraternities and sororities, which I'm not too fond of.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

I never really liked the idea of fraternities either--though I 'get' that they are good for 'networking' and such. But I always thought that university was where you went to develop your own mind and mature as an individual. The idea of a fraternity always struck me as a desire to latch on to the secure social network that is lost to many after they leave high school.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Neil said...

I'm not introverted, but I'm also not fond of large groups, so joining big social networks never appealed to me. It's easier to develop with the company of small groups of friends that aren't expected to do or say particular things. Then, with fraternities, there's the frequent possibility of alcohol (among other things), and I've never had any penchant for drinking. I guess the main draw is the chance to feel a sense of belonging in a new and unfamiliar place.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home