Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Bits and... Painting Poem III

Firstly, I apologize for the lack of aptly wrought, focused blog pieces. I'm not exactly sure why I'm apologizing, since blogs are self-published, but I suppose I feel a certain obligation towards those who visit. I will put some work into the Philippines entry (despite that accursed summer reading project), and I actually do have a couple of ideas for more developed posts now. Anyhow...

On Bad Luck, courtesy of Jess, since she undoubtedly possesses it. To Jess: You got a really crummy deal; my sympathy goes out to you. On a lighter note, happy b-day in a couple, and, if you want a movie to cheer you up (and enjoy children-oriented movies), I heavily suggest My Neighbor Totoro; it's utterly benign and quite pleasing.

From Anthony, a sonnet-based post. It contains a really nice sonnet by Dan Schneider, as well as a reasonably good piece by Peter Van Toorn.

For the 16th of August- Happy Birthday to myself, Madonna, Charles Bukowski (reluctantly), T.E. Lawrence, and the moon, among others. If anyone else is curious about who was born on their birthday, finding out is as simply as looking up the date on Wikipedia. It's quite interesting, really.

LAEvaside: Elvis died on August 16th, 1977. [/laevaside]

...My, this is a rather spare post, isn't it? I suppose a poem is due- let's go with another painting poem in my JSS series (painting first):

~~~

Garden Study of the Vickers Children
               ~John Singer Sargent

Stem-tall, pretty in white
And black, they take hold
Of green. Things that fill eyes
Of earth, ever heaven-inclined,
Reach softly throughout
The eyes that hold them,
Still growing. They look about
To other lovely things, or down,
Enraptured. Beneath,
Life spans boundlessly.

~~~~~~~

Take care 'til next,

~Neil

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

Thanks. Guess I won't be getting what I really wanted for my birthday, but eh.

31...here I come.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

This was very nice, I enjoyed it.

Happy Birthday! I hope that it was one of your best. I also hope that this coming year brings you much happiness and many wonderful new experiences.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

PS- Seamus will be back from holiday at the end of this month, I expect he'll be getting in contact with you soon about adopting a lion. I spoke to him about it, but there isn't anything definite yet. Good luck.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Neil said...

Thanks a lot, Wanderlust, I appreciate it ^^

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home