Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Monday, July 30, 2007

Welcome Back, Neil!

Why, thank you! I did have an interesting trip to the Philippines; it was wonderful seeing family I've never met before, but the place itself isn't particularly pleasant. For anyone interested in a look at the Philippines, I'll have a writeup with pictures ready in the next couple weeks.

While I was in the Philippines, I decided to purchase the 7th Harry Potter book for the (32 hour) plane trip back, for I've been a fan since 4th-5th grade. It was a very exciting light read that helped shave some hours off of the hefty travel time; I am quite satisfied with the final installment. When I did get back, I realized how many people were overly praising the books or labeling it as some terrible anticulture, so here's an objective look at HP on M&C. It actually hit #1 in popularity, little credit to me: Harry Potter is bigger than YouTube, Usher, Northern Ireland, and Lindsay Lohan. Actually, if you gathered all the books in the world and piled them up, HP probably *is* bigger than all these things (that's right, N. Ireland!). Really though, I do rather enjoy reading the comments the article is attracting.

On a related side note, Jess mentioned yesterday that HP Book 5 is overwrought (which is true). I watched a J.K. Rowling interview, a fan asked if she would change anything if she could, and she said that she wishes she had done better editing on Book 5, because it's "too long". Just thought I'd mention that.

In other news, this blog is now 1 year, 1 day old. This didn't occur to me yesterday, otherwise I probably would've made this post earlier. No matter, it's not particularly important.

Notes for the past couple weeks: Creative Writing 1 from Anthony and a response from Jess. Also, Art Durkee has 4 poems up on M&C. Finally, for kicks, here's The Pachelbel Rant for all you people, especially those musicians out there. Good stuff.

Take Care,
~LAEvanesce

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

You're actually #3 most popular in M&C overall. You beat out Lindsay Lohan. Hooray!

7:03 PM  
Blogger jdogmoney said...

HP doesn't have hidden meaning?

I disagree, but if I back it up, it will no longer be hidden.

Quite the quandry.

With all due respect,
Jeff

Postscript: Glad to have you back, Neil.

7:42 AM  
Blogger LAEvanesce said...

Jess: Huh, I guess it didn't manage to hold down the #1 spot for very long, but at least it stayed at #3 for a bit ^^

Jeff: I never did say that it doesn't have hidden meaning; rather, such hidden meaning is rather obvious to a perceptive reader such as yourself. That is, it's somewhat like perusing an I Spy Junior as opposed to a normal I Spy.

By the way, I was rather under the impression (I'm over it now) that you never visited here anymore. It's quite nice to see a comment by you.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

You at #1 in books for several days but #3 on M&C overall, meaning you beat out Lindsay Lohan. That's hard to do when books are competing with that.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Happy Blogaversary!

Or whatever it is.

Good Job!

By the way, I awarded you with a thoughtful blogger award on my page... please drop by when you get a chance, and pick it up.


Best,
Scarlett & Viaggiatore

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home