Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

To the Philippines

Well, I'm headed out for the Philippines; nothing is going to be posted here for the next 9-10 days, so don't bother checking for new entries. Seeing as to how I'm busy sorting out my affairs before I go, here's a poem:

~~~

Pickings

Sensitively rendered ones are good.
And the unexpected ones as well.
I especially like bright, shiny ones.

Oftentimes I must stoop to get them.
Or grasp them out of the air.
But that's hard if it's windy.

Some graciously appear of their own right.
While others are dug out.
Pulled, stretched, or excavated.

It's the getting I'm after.

by Bruce Ario

~~~~~~~

It really is a delightful poem; what are the pickings? I've always thought that the "pickings" are ideas, but obviously I can't prove it. Great poetry often leaves certain things to personal interpretation; this poem does so poignantly, with a remarkable deal of brevity. By the way, the form "Pickings" is written in is the ario (for obvious reasons), a form that I may attempt in the near future. Anyhow, take care; I'll certainly try my best to.

~LAEvanesce

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

One of the better Bruce poems. Nice choice.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I love this one!

Perhaps they are ideas... or dreams... or pennies from heaven?
So many things.

Safe travels, and lots of fun.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

8:56 PM  
Blogger THE BLUEST BUTTERFLY said...

I liked the ideas presented in your poem. I hope that you come back with lots to say about the Phillipines. Travel safely.

7:01 PM  
Blogger LAEvanesce said...

It is a rather nice poem; Butterfly, thank you for visiting. It actually isn't my poem (to avoid any confusion), though Ario is a pretty cool last name~

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home