Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Monday, July 02, 2007

July~

Looks like July is here; unfortunately, unlike the last three months, July doesn't directly translate into a female name (though Julie is awfully close). Regardless, let's look into July and see what we (well, I, really) come up with:

~~~

  • July was renamed for Julius Caesar, who was born in that month. Previously, it was called Quintilis in Latin.
  • Independence Day in the United States, Venezuela, and Malawi occur consecutively (July 4th, 5th, and 6th, respectively).
  • July is National Ice Cream Month in the United States.
  • In Finnish, the month is called heinäkuu, meaning "month of grass".
  • July begins on the same day of the week as April every year and also January in leap years.
  • July's flower is the water lily or larkspur.
  • July is the most common birth month, along with October.
~~~~~~~

If you live in the U.S., it's almost time for fireworks, which I always enjoy (I doubt the pleasure of bright lights and loud bangs ever truly fades). Now, without further ado:

~~~

Julyen

Julie and Julian met in July.
Now they’re a pair; noone ever asks why.

~~~~~~~

Alright, new record! One-minute poems are so cool.

Take Care,
~LAEvanesce

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

I like your new intro 'alot'...

I see you also have another blog called 'Yo'

9:42 AM  
Blogger LAEvanesce said...

Yeah, I saw all those e-mails about concerning "alot". It was kinda cool, since I've been doing the same thing for awhile.

Thanks for reminding me about "Yo"; that was a test blog, so I suppose I'll delete it.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

Yo!

I didn't know if you were starting a hip hop blog or what.

Weren't those emails insane? It's like, she reads an entire essay that's 5000 words, gets emailed "Siamese Reflection", and still she can only comment on 'alot'. Alot is 'alot' like Alright vs. All Right or Awhile vs. a while.

The preferred is a lot, but the fact that she could only see that shows how obtuse she really is. Dan really got her when her rebuttal was how she didn't let her students write They're vs. Their, vs. There, and the diff being they are all separate words, so one can't do that!

Ah, the joy of being a high school teacher. (I had 2 that were actually good).

2:55 PM  
Blogger LAEvanesce said...

Actually, I have worked on a little hip-hop dancing, hahaha~ I'm more excited about taking ballroom lessons, though.

Those e-mails were rather entertaining; I wonder what it's like, having the universe end at your front door and the density of compressed lead. Really though, I should be nicer to my elders.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Happy 4th of July to you, hope you enjoyed the fireworks!

Lets see... nine months before July is November... cold weather?
Nine months before October is Valentines... :o)

I could only surmise from this that cupid has an excellent aim, and the old adage that 'the way to a mans heart is through his stomach' must be truer than I thought.

Good list... kind of a meme in a way.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

10:42 PM  
Blogger AnoNick said...

Cool post about July... but the couplets have GOT to improve... lol. Nah, they're fun nonetheless.

Keep writing... (can';t comment on the latest post because I know nada about villanelles, much less variations on them ;)... ).

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home