Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Linkin'; Hark

Or, perhaps, read, seeing as to how audio is notably absent:

First, Multi-(Tasking, Media, Directional) from Art. I've always considered the idea that pursuing multiple artforms is unwise to be rather silly; artforms often play off of one another, and talents in one can be applied to another (especially from visual~>visual and textual~>textual). Naturally, most people have a tendency towards a certain media, but the pursuit of other forms of expression strengthens one's ability in general; it does not hinder it.

Second, On Taste(s) and 'subjectivity'. from Jess (with a link to Anthony). I've always found it strange how difficult it is to explain the concept of clichés to some people. They argue that clichés are commonly used because of their effectiveness; this is wrong. Clichés are frequently utilized because they are obvious pairings or narratives; in short, descriptions for the lazy. Don't tell me the night is dark, the sun is bright, or the grass is green; to me, the most annoying sort of cliché is the sort that tells something that is assumed to be true unless otherwise noted. Bad enjambment is also aggravating and heavily pervades poetry; I'll not expand (for the time being).

(See Addendum)

Finally, bits & bits & bits from Anthony, with a link to Jess (we do work to promote each other, don't we?); he touches on a Yeats post by Jess (I ought to read more Yeats), a trip back to a post on Frankenstein (I ought to read Frankenstein), and a sonnet by Neil (I ought to re... never mind that). I told you we promote each other.

LAEvaside: Four separate parentheses in one sentence; impressive, ain't it? [/laevaside]

Anyhow, read, reply, be happy. Oh, and remember to floss.

Take Care,
~LAEvanesce

~~~~~

Addendum: It has come to my attention that my examples of cliché are a bit weak. I will leave them as they were, but here are better examples, in context:

~~~

The beautiful girl wept bitter tears in the darkness of the night; her eternal love was forever lost to death and suffering. Suddenly, the sun shone brightly, firing the girl's lost soul and mending her broken heart.

~~~~~~~

I'm proud of myself for stringing together that many clichés. All right!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

If the sun is especially bright that day, to say that wouldn't be cliche if it was just a matter of fact statement. The problem with cliches is that they are generally attempting to carry emotion with them, which makes for triteness.

"And then he looked at me from across the room, our eyes met, and we felt brighter than the sun..."

Or some other such crap. You get the idea.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

haha, I guess there is a fair amount of cross-pollination. But you know how it is--someone says something that gets you thinking. Also, sometimes there will be something said in passing in an essay or whatever that I think deserves attention--like the comment on Bergman's writing that I mentioned in one post a while back.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

Dan is actually going to mention that Bergman point when he interviews Charles Johnson. I remember when I told him that you had noticed that comment, he said he didn't realize at the time that it was a provocative statement.

You both should also check out his essay I have linked to my blog. You'll like it. (More complaints about bad writing).

8:21 PM  
Blogger LAEvanesce said...

I enjoyed the essay, Jess; also, thanks for pointing out the weakness in my comparison. Way to force the addendum!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

That's funny. Good job. Sadly, you would find some who would enjoy that. 'she wept bitter tears...'

Ha.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home