Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Poem, Some Movies...

Mmkay~ First, a run of links (common procedure): Some Cheesy, Fun Films I Like from Jess (which runs in a bit with Great Notes on Greatness); The Practicalities of Critique and Criticism 5 from Art; and MFAs & MBAs = BS from Anthony. Also, welcome Michael P.F. van der Galiën to the blogroll *pulls out the sham-pa-gin*~

In the spirit of cheesy, fun films, here's a short list of films I like that are certainly not great (or even good) artistically:

~~~

Paulie: Very witty dialogue; parrots are cool.

The Matrix Trilogy: The fight sequences get me every time (and the first one is actually a pretty good sci-fi). Also, I have a strange liking for Keanu Reeves; indifference to almost everything is the perfect role for him!

Donkey Kong Country- Legend of the Crystal Coconut: Hit me now; then again, it's got some bizarre and laughable animation, and some hilarious dialogue and musical numbers.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies: Turtles or parrots... turtles or parrots? Good, silly fun.

Aristocats: Jazz cats are cool. Especially Thomas O'Malley; *that* is one slick cat.

~~~~~~~

I could probably go on for a few more, but you get the picture. I'm not a big moviewatcher, though, so my choices are a bit limited. Now, to supplement this post, here's a new poem that I *probably* won't edit anymore:

~~~

Our Meadow

Sapphire flowers, blue-green bright
Blanket, and blanket-clouds reign
Grey over damp petals. Delight
is too weak a word for such a sight!
I will go there again.

In the center: a gazebo, a wishing well,
Three benches, wrought with graceful wood
And honest stone. And some small spell
Bid a fateful coin into the faerie cell.
I will go again; I should.

The glory of the mighty afternoon
Knelt below elated, pallid lace;
And, rapt with perfect swoon,
Adorned her with an early sapphire moon.
—I cannot stand this place!

With all my love, with all my tenderness and grace
I cannot write myself into this perfect place!
Though I’ve wept, and though I’ve tried
And tried again, my longing can’t conduct
This happy hell; for I cannot construct
My lovely bride, my lovely bride
Who truly was– and died.

By Neil Hester

~~~~~~~

I'll be sure to remember the April entry this time around; take care 'til next,

~LAEvanesce

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

I wouldn't think you'd be familiar with the whole Turtle thing, seeing that hat first movie came out in 1989, when I was in 8th grade.

8:16 AM  
Blogger LAEvanesce said...

The Turtles are making a sort of comeback; "scene" kids in high school wear TMNT shirts a lot, they started up animated episodes again, and they've got that new movie coming out. I've watched a couple TMNT movies, and rather enjoyed both of them.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home