Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Thursday, March 22, 2007

O Come Emanuel

James Emanuel- heard of him? If you haven't (which is likely), you've missed out. Brought to my attention by this Cosmoetica article, he has great skill in both free and formal verse; yet, he is neglected and has not received his due in the least. To give a couple selections:

~~~

Experience

"To all things great and glorious":
his wine moved to his lips.
"There are so few," she answered;
her brim touched his fingertips.

They stared the fire into an ash;
their glasses bent their hands
while they, enchanted wistfully,
re-travelled many lands.

~~~~~

For The 4th Grade, Prospect School: How I Became A Poet

My kite broke loose,
took all my string
and backed into the sun.
I followed far as I could go
and high as I could run.

My special top went spinning
down the gutter, down the drain.
I heard it gurgling sideways,
saw it grinning in the rain,
my string wrapped around it
while I reached for it in vain.

My dog got thin and went away.
He took his leash- the wrapping string
that we pretended was a rope-
and went as far as he could hope
to find the sickbed where I lay.

And now, when I remember strings
and how they bind together things,
and how they stretch (like reach and run),
and hold (like hope) and give (like sun),
I tie together things I know
and wind up with a poem to show

By James Emanuel

~~~~~~~

Jessica also did a post on Emanuel, and Omniversica did a show featuring him. I'd like to get a copy of his Collected Poems, but the checks at Amazon haven't yielded anything yet~ I ought to get a hold of one eventually, though.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emanuel
Shall come to thee, oh France.


...Not quite the same, is it?

Take Care,
~LAEvanesce

3 Comments:

Blogger AnoNick said...

Nice poems, love em. "Experience" is wonderful. I also loved "Sonnet For A Writer" on Jessica Scheider's blog.

BTW, Word verification is a little annoying, and maybe unecessary, since you approve before you publish. :)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jessica Schneider said...

Neil-

You can try looking on Half.com or some places other than Amazon. You might be able to find it under $10 or try Best Web/Book Buys- just Google it and see what you come up with.

10:10 AM  
Blogger LAEvanesce said...

Anonick: Well, I put Word Verification because I was coming back to several advertisement comments every day; I guess I got tired of deleting 6-7 every day ~_^

Jessica: True: I'll give it a harder look this weekend. Thanks~

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home