Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The First Non-Structured Free Verse Entry *gasp*

Yes, yes, I write without set structure and rhyme occasionally. Stop looking at me like that, I know some of my readers aren't much for free verse ~_^ As of now, everything I've posted has had structure and/or rhyme involvement. However, I'm intent on learning how to write good strict verse *and* free verse, and I have read some very nice poetry in free. Here's one of my better looks (there are a few that are superior, but I think this is decent work).

~~~~~~~

We Are Baptism

We are death. Our flaws are means
To reach the end; mortal faults are ends
Upon ourselves. A failure to proceed,
Corrupted flesh, waning breath,
The laws which have no bypass;
Ceasing hearts, too weak to stir,
We can’t awaken ever daily.
Lack of strength, our human vice,
Like original sin without baptism.
Or with, perhaps.

Death is baptism. Dipped in soil,
Purged of bodily confines,
Enter the purity of azure
Or the iniquity of sable;
This cleansing knows no religion.

By Neil Hester

~~~~~~~

It's a bit strange, I'll admit, to call our human frailty "flaws" and "mortal faults", but it's a somewhat interesting premise. By the way, later on I may do a writeup on the difference between true free verse and prose broken up into lines; a lot of contemporary free verse isn't poetry, it's prose with enjambment. That's a problem.

Two other quick things: firstly, remember to check out the John Singer Sargent article two entries down. He's important~ Also, I hope you folk like the Word of the Day addition in the sidebar; I tried to get as close to the background color as possible (I wish they had the option for an "invisible" background). That said, take care 'til next time~

~LAEvanesce

3 Comments:

Blogger SempreArioso said...

I write in free verse a lot (understatement), and some people don't consider that true poetry. *shrug* I'm not looking for critique; I just write what I feel. Ah well. Different strokes for different folks, right?

Great poem, by the way. It's a bit strange, but it's a nice sort of strange. =^_^=

9:06 PM  
Blogger LAEvanesce said...

I'm glad you like the poem ^^ And yes, different people certainly have a tendency towards different types of verse, which is fine. I just get fed up with some of the really stale, unpoetic stuff that some Academics tend to spew out then label as poetry. For example:

~~~

Thanks To Jesse Jackson

The US and USSR are the most powerful countries
in the world
but only 1/8 of the world's population.
African people are also 1/8 of the world's population.
1/2 of the world's population is Asian.
1/2 of that is Chinese.
There are 22 nations in the middle east.
Not two.

Most people in this world
are Yellow, Black, Brown, Poor, Female
Non-Christian
and do not speak English.

By the year 2000
the 20 largest cities in the world
will have one thing in common
none of them will be in Europe
and none in the United States.

By Audre Lorde

~~~~~~~

Not a poem. It's prose:

~~~

Thanks To Jesse Jackson

The US and USSR are the mostpowerful countries in the world but only 1/8 of the world's population. African people are also 1/8 of the world's population. 1/2 of the world's population is Asian. 1/2 of that is Chinese.

There are 22 nations in the middle east. Not two.

Most people in this world
are Yellow, Black, Brown, Poor, Female, Non-Christian, and do not speak English.

By the year 2000 the 20 largest cities in the world will have one thing in common; none of them will be in Europe and none in the United States.

~~~~~~~

Definitely fares better in prose; the line breaks are pointless. Of course, it's still not good, but it's an improvement ^^

4:53 PM  
Blogger SempreArioso said...

^ ^ Goodness! That's long, and yes, I'd label that as prose. To me, poetry has to have some sort of passion or emotion in it to be called poetry. A piece as vapid as that cannot be called poetry. If I wanted to hear some nonsense like that, then I'd watch national news.

And 'tis a slight improvement at best. =P =^_^=

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home