Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Sargent: John Singer

In Portland, Oregon, 2005, I had the privilege of browsing a traveling exhibit carrying various children's portraits by John Singer Sargent. Before this point, I had not known who he was (visual art is not one of my main interests), but after spending a long period of time at his display, I was completely charmed by his beautiful portraits. When I arrived back home, I looked for his artwork on the internet and stumbled across a wonderful virtual gallery which I inevitably spent hours upon hours in. Not only are his portraits wonderful (though his portraits of children are still my favorites), but Sargent has done great work in landscapes as well (especially his Venetian works). I highly suggest you spend some time to visit the aforementioned virtual gallery; something there is sure to please.

While I'm here, allow me to list my favorites (with links):

Children
Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose
Village Children
Garden Study of the Vickers Children
Cashmere
Essie, Ruby, and Ferdinand

Nature
Blue Gentians
Palmettos
Roses
In the Luxembourg Gardens
Shady Paths Vizcaya
Terrace at Vizcaya

Ladies
A Morning Walk
Madame Roger- Jourdain
Lady with Parasol

Gentlemen
The Four Doctors
Charles Deering

Venice
Rio dell'Angelo
The Grand Canal, Venice
The Libreria

Miscellany
Rehearsal of the Pas de loup

~~~~~~~

These I would rank as my absolute favorites. My personal collection is about 7 times as large, and the virtual gallery is several times that. Hopefully the exposure to John Singer Sargent was worthwhile to you; that said, take care 'til next time,

~LAEvanesce

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home