Neil Hester

All poems © Neil Hester unless otherwritten

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Lewis Carroll

Jabberwocky

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves,
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal blade in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought —
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And mome raths outgrabe.

By Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~

...As pulled from “Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There”, the second of Lewis Carroll’s two masterful works, the first being “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”. Here's a good link to visit for help with the portmanteaus and other odd words in the poem (as well as variations of the poem; I like the Wall Street one in particular, and the "spellchecked" one is good for laughs). Finally, here's a Muppets version of Jabberwocky; a classic for a classic (or maybe I just like Muppets too much ^^)!

While these are technically “children’s works”, they are worth a read regardless of age. There are a lot of parallel or additional meanings hidden, but even without regard to those, the prose is absolutely delightful. If you’d like to take a peek (or don’t find reading books on the internet annoying) you can go here for an electronic version that contains the original pictures and artwork by others. To end, here’s another poem of Carroll’s; he’s labeled as a “nonsense poet”, but some of his stuff is kinda morbid when you really think about it:

~~~~~~~

My Fairy

I have a fairy by my side
Which says I must not sleep,
When once in pain I loudly cried
It said "You must not weep"

If, full of mirth, I smile and grin,
It says "You must not laugh"
When once I wished to drink some gin
It said "You must not quaff".

When once a meal I wished to taste
It said "You must not bite"
When to the wars I went in haste
It said "You must not fight".

"What may I do?" at length I cried,
Tired of the painful task.
The fairy quietly replied,
And said "You must not ask".

Moral: "You mustn't."

~~~~~~~

Don’t do anything! Some would say that’s worse than death.

~LAEvanesce

1 Comments:

Blogger Hershal said...

I've always cherished Jabberwocky! and My Fairy is a good poem too....liked it and i agree "you musn't"

anonick directed me to your blog....

have a look at my page -
http://hershal.blogspot.com

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home